How did the great men and women throughout the course of history see life? What attitudes, beliefs, and values did they hold essential to the core of their very being? What were the ideas that allowed them to achieve great things and end up in the history books – while the rest of us only look up?
Luckily, all great men and women left behind a roadmap for greatness, breadcrumbs that even the most ordinary and average person could follow, too. While it may not land them in the history books, it will move them further along their journey towards reaching their goals, achieving happiness, and fulfilling their legacy.
The map left behind by great people is not hard to read, and you don't even need a key or a legend because it comes in the form of the simple words they left us. From Presidents to world leaders, great sports figures to civil rights leaders, and quite a few inventors and cultural icons, anyone can stand on the shoulder of giants.
Read these great quotes by great men or women. Reread them, reflect upon them, and think about how you can integrate the same ideas or values into your life. Then, take action! You’ll be amazed at the positive changes you see in a very short time.
- "The two most important days in your life are the day you are born, and the day you find out why." —Mark Twain
- "I believe every human has a finite number of heartbeats. I don't intend to waste any of mine." —Neil Armstrong
- "Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." —Steve Jobs
- "Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." —Mahatma Gandhi
- "Don't count the days, make the days count." —Muhammad Ali
- "The longer I live, the more beautiful life becomes." —Frank Lloyd Wright
- "The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate." —Oprah Winfrey
- "If you want to be happy, set a goal that commands your thoughts, liberates your energy, and inspires your hopes." —Andrew Carnegie
- "The purpose of our lives is to be happy." —Dalai Lama
- "Believe you can and you’re halfway there." —Theodore Roosevelt
- "We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." —Martin Luther King, Jr.
- "Courage is grace under pressure." —Ernest Hemingway
- "What the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve." —Napoleon Hill
- "It often requires more courage to dare to do right than to fear to do wrong." —Abraham Lincoln
- "If you are going through hell, keep going." —Winston Churchill
- "Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." —Albert Einstein
- "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." —Henry Ford
- "You must do the things you think you cannot do." —Eleanor Roosevelt
- "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." —Wayne Gretzky
- "Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen." —Michael Jordan
- "The biggest risk is not taking any risk ... In a world that's changing really quickly, the only strategy that is guaranteed to fail is not taking risks." —Mark Zuckerberg
- "The best way of learning about anything is by doing." —Richard Branson
- "If something is important enough, even if the odds are against you, you should still do it." —Elon Musk
- "A dream doesn't become reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work." —Colin Powell
- "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference." —Robert Frost (from his poem "The Road Not Taken")
- "If there is no struggle, there is no progress." —Frederick Douglass
- "Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing." —Benjamin Franklin
- "Don't be afraid to give up the good to go for the great." —John D. Rockefeller
- "In the midst of movement and chaos, keep stillness inside of you." —Deepak Chopra
- "As we look ahead into the next century, leaders will be those who empower others." —Bill Gates
- "In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity." —Albert Einstein
- "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched — they must be felt with the heart." —Helen Keller
- "Success isn't about how much money you make. It's about the difference you make in people's lives." —Michelle Obama
- "It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop." —Confucius
- "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." —Thomas A. Edison
- "It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things differently." —Warren Buffett
- "Success is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm." —Winston Churchill
- "One of the greatest diseases is to be nobody to anybody." —Mother Teresa
- "Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud." —Maya Angelou
- "Things work out best for those who make the best of how things work out." -John Wooden
- "If you are not willing to risk the usual, you will have to settle for the ordinary." -Jim Rohn
- "Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." -Warren Buffett
- "Try not to become a person of success, but rather try to become a person of value." -Albert Einstein
- "There is no easy walk to freedom anywhere, and many of us will have to pass through the valley of the shadow of death again and again before we reach the mountaintop of our desires." - Nelson Mandela
- "It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change." -Charles Darwin
- "Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people." -Eleanor Roosevelt
- "Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." -Arthur Ashe
- "The successful warrior is the average man, with laser-like focus." -Bruce Lee
- "Be patient with yourself. Self-growth is tender; it's holy ground. There's no greater investment." -Stephen Covey
- “Motivation doesn't last, but neither does showering. That's why both are recommended daily.” –Zig Zigler
Did you enjoy these quotes? Which ones are your favorite?
If you think they’re AWESOME, don’t worry – we have 50 more iconic quotes from the great human beings throughout history coming soon!